Monday 18 April 2011

New book covers Seychelles’ evolution

The book by President James Michel – which was launched on Thursday – tells the story of Seychelles’ change from a colony to a modern nation.

President Michel speaking at the book launch on Thursday

“It tells, in my own perspective, the story of our beloved country, from the day we were a distant colony in the British Empire to our present status as a modern nation with a respected role to play in the international community,” he said at the launch.

“What better way to tell this story – this transformation – than through my own eyes growing up in a world so different than what it is today? This is my personal experience of strife, perseverance, of the transformation of our society and of my own modest contribution to it. It also encapsulates my vision for the future – a vision I feel passionately about,” he said.

He said some people may take exception to his recounting of certain events and their role in them, but assured them it was not his intention to offend them in any way.

“These are my personal reflections on events as they occurred or as recounted to me, and reflections on my own experiences, including my professional life and political career.

“My political career was forged in the early experience of hardship.  Unless you were rich in those days, there were so many barriers to a good education, but I was determined to get as far as the system would allow me.

“I then vowed to do everything I could to remove such injustices and to make it possible for any young person in our society to enjoy a full and rewarding education – regardless of the colour of their skin or the wealth of their family.

“I met similar barriers in the world of work and wanted to see those removed too.  One thing led to another and once I had gained a taste for politics I knew that nothing would stop me until I could see the emergence of a fairer society,” he said.

“The road I have taken has not been an easy one and, along the way, I have had to face tragedy in my own life, with the loss of my dear son, Jude.  My family and I still mourn him today. It is a void that will never be filled. For Jude as much as anyone, I would do everything possible to achieve better things for us all.”

Mr Michel said he was not saying these things for the purpose of exaggerating “but in the hope that it will serve to encourage others to demand the impossible”.

“If anyone had said when, as a young boy, I walked along the beach of Anse à La Mouche that I would one day become President I would simply have laughed!  Yet here I am now, and I want to give the same message to our country’s young generation, the people who will soon carry the mantle of our nation’s future.  Go beyond the limits in which you might find yourself and do what you truly believe in, no matter how hard that might seem. 

“Seychellois brothers and sisters, I hope you will read this book because it is about you as well as me, about our beautiful country and our many achievements.  We are a small nation but the world listens when we speak,” he said.
“That said, we have unfinished business. Seven years ago, we embarked on a journey together. And we have to see it through,” he said.

Former member of the British parliament, Chris Mole – who was also transport minister until last year –  says the book should be mandatory reading for all public servants who purport to serve the people.

Radio and TV producer Ravi Sharma, also from the UK, comments in the book:

“Few politicians have the ability to make memoirs interesting. Michel is different. This book is a compelling story of extreme poverty and destitution, slavery, foreign masters, emancipation revolution and the birth of an independent nation.”

Source: Seychelles Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment